Friday, April 4, 2014

Seriously Singing

MK did the first reading at First Friday mass today. I was not able to stay for all of mass, but I was there for the first half (I'm such a Half-lic). The hymn that was sung by the choir at the start of mass was On Eagles Wings. This is one of those hymns that I know every single word to because I too, went to Catholic grade school.

Once in my early 20's I was out with friends over the summer at a bar in my hometown. I ran into a group of guys that were still all friends with each other from my grade school. They graduated a year ahead of me, but none of them had gone to the same high school as me. So, I had not seen any of them, I don't think, since they were in 8th grade, about 8 years prior. It was a huge bar, one or two of these guys came across the bar to talk to me. We were catching up over a few beers, reminiscing about grade school,  and our shared history (word of the day).  Then, out of nowhere I start singing On Eagles Wings at the top of my lungs (I have a weird feeling I was over served) and these two guys join in. Next thing I know we are singing so loud in what I think was an attempt to get the other group of guys across the bar to hear us and join in. I have no recollection if they did or not. I think we next broke out in the little ditty His Banner Over Me is Love, with motions! My friends had totally abandoned me at this point but I don't think I cared.

Every time I hear either of these hymns I suddenly crave a Natty Light,  and can't help but think of that smoky bar and the camaraderie of those classmates. Probably not the correct intention of a couple of church hymns, but it's a helluva memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment