Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Serioulsy Pain(t)ed

I think I have mentioned that I really want to get my kitchen redone. But, it is not happening now, so the next best thing is to update a different room. I did a reorg of our front hallway this fall, but didn't paint, and while it looks better than it did, it still needs some work. But, I am not the best about deciding on a color to use.  That photo down there shows 5 different colors. There is another wall with um, I think, 3 more. We have decided, I think, on the one second from the left. It is called Booth Bay Gray. Please don't comment on a different color, as I have no more energy or money for more samples.

And, since our stairwell is a blah taupe with a "country" stencil along the rail from the previous owner (that was probably painted in 1999) it is time to paint that, as well. But painting a stairwell is a different ballgame than just a hallway. Since, we kind of need the ceilings done as well, I figured I would get a quote. Well, that did not go over well with hubs. While he is truly my best friend and who knew at age 20 I would be so intuitive (word of the day) to pick just the right life partner and father for my future children. And, he is really handy around the house. Also, he is not one of those guys who leave projects half done. But, (isn't there always a but) he is never home and when he is home, there are only like 2-3 hour windows to get any work done, so any one given project takes a solid 3 to 4 months to complete. Which can be truly painful. It took him 3 months to power wash, scrape the paint, sand and then paint our front porch last summer. And, we both hate the color now. Ok, back to my estimate on this paint job. So, so, not happening. He says, "When did this $100 job turn into a $1,000 job?" I said, well, "If we are getting the stairwell done, maybe we should get the ceilings done and the job would get done in a week and not 20 weeks."

Next morning, I spot hubs on the Lowes website looking at ladders. "So, you are really going to buy a ladder to paint the stairwell, even though you are a afraid of heights, and we have no idea what an estimate would even be," says me. 3 hours later he brought home the mother of all telescoping ladders (for $189) He sets it up in the stairwell to see how it would work and then got stuck between it and the railing (I was upstairs folding laundry and had no phone or camera on me or I would have taken a picture after I was done cackling at him). He had to carry it all the way up to fold it and carry it back down. Now it rests in.my.dining.room.

For the next 3 months or so, I have this lovely view from my kitchen. I should have just gotten the estimates without him knowing. At least, I would feel better about this situation.

#whycantijusthiresomeone


No comments:

Post a Comment