Sunday, April 6, 2014

Seriously Delish

My mouth feels like my taste buds are exploding into fireworks right now, but in a good way. I sometimes make this bean salad referred to as Cowboy Caviar. I hate the name but it sure is tasty. Now that I have been gluten-free for almost 7 weeks*, I have needed to come up with more creative dining choices, especially for lunch. I made this traditional Cowboy Cav a few weeks ago and was in the mood again today. After preparing the dressing, I realized I did not have all of the ingredients, like 2 of the main ingredients, so I improvised and made my own. 

Because I am so thoughtful (word of the day) I am going to share it with you all today. You.must.try.it. Then comment here so you can tell me what you thought.

HK's Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Ingredients
2 Tbs red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco - use less if you don't like things hot)
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
1 firm, ripe avocado
1/4 of a fresh lemon juice
1 can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
1 cup sweet corn kernels (defrosted, or drained if canned)
2 tsp diced sweet onion
1/3 cup diced red pepper
1/3 cup diced cilantro
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts drained and diced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil and garlic. Toss to combine. Peel, pit and cut avocado into 1/2 inch pieces, add to dressing and mix gently. Squeeze juice of a 1/4 lemon over the avocado.
2. Add drained peas and corn to the mix. Add the chopped sweet onion, cilantro and artichoke. Gently mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve with gluten-free (or not) corn tortilla chips and/or put over lettuce. Enjoy!

I ate half of it for lunch today














*I weighed myself at week 6 and I have successfully gained an additional pound. I am eating less, more lean and green, exercise 4 days a week and I am up over 5 pounds total in 2 months. I hate being 40. #40seriouslysucks

No comments:

Post a Comment